How Much Does It Cost to Demolish a House on Long Island?
If you’re planning a renovation before you begin you may need to demolish or demo, parts or all of your home. You may be wondering how much that costs in Nassau County, Lonag Island?
Demolition of the interior of a home means taking off all of the wall and floor finishing materials down to the studs and subflooring.
Let’s dive into cost. To demo the interior of a home will typically cost between $5 and $10 a square foot.For example if you want to demo the interior of a house that is 2000k square feet, it would cost between $10,000 to $20,000.
Whereas the cost to tear down a whole existing house would be between $10 to $15 a square foot.
Here’s a real interior example:
We recently completed demolition on a 2,806 square foot home in Manhasset, Long Island. The home was completely gutted to the wood stud and subflooring. The garage was also completely removed along with some minor demolition in the basement. The cost came in at about $18,000 or $6.41 a square foot.
Next, 5 Factors that Affect Residential Demo Costs:
1. Size and Complexity of the Home: Multiple floors, complex layouts will require more time and labor and equipment resulting higher costs compared to a smaller home.
2. Presence of Hazardous Materials: The space must be assessed for potential hazards, such as asbestos or lead. If anything is found requires additional precautions or the use of specialized professional remediation services will significantly impact the cost.
3. Accessibility and Site Conditions of the Home: Things such as narrow hallways, tight spaces, and limited access to heavy machinery all may require additional labor or alternative demo methods which will affect the overall cost.
4. Disposal and Permit Costs: When demolishing the interior of a home debris must be properly disposed of, which may require a dumpster or hiring a waste removal service. Make sure you ask if that’s included in the cost before hiring demo specialist. You may also need a permit from your local village or town. Ask before you start. These have costs.
5. Gather Quotes from Contractor: Be sure you get an accurate estimate for your specific project. It’s important to use a local contractor that specializes in interior demo. Seek multiple quotes to compare price, service, and timelines.
And remember choosing a licensed, insured contractor on Long Island is crucial to a safe and efficient demo project or any home renovation!
Click here for our You Tube Video for more inf and free Demo Checklist! https://youtu.be/rviW7EIbYp0?feature=shared